Access your favorite apps and websites on your Chromebook in seconds
Everyone has websites and applications that they use almost every time they open their computer. To make these websites and apps easier to access, Chromebooks allow you to pin them to the shelf. The shelf of a Chromebook is equivalent to the taskbar of a Windows device.
Here’s how to pin apps and websites to the shelf, and how to access them with just the press of a key.
How to Pin Apps to the Shelf
It’s easy to pin apps (Android apps and web apps) to your shelf on ChromeOS. Here’s how.
- Press either the Look for Where Launcher key on your keyboard (depending on the ChromeOS device you have) to open the search function. Otherwise, click the Launcher button in the lower left corner of the screen.
- Scroll down until you find the app you want to create a shortcut for.
- Right-click on the app you want to pin to the shelf.
- Click on pin to shelf.
- The app you selected appears as the rightmost pinned item on your shelf.
How to Pin Websites to the Shelf
In addition to apps, ChromeOS lets you create app-like shortcuts for any website. This feature is similar to creating website shortcuts on an Android phone. Here’s how to create these shortcuts and how to pin them to your shelf.
- Go to the website for which you want to create a shortcut.
- Click on the three dots in the upper right corner of your Chrome window.
- Go to More tools.
- Click on To create a shortcut.
- Type a name for the shortcut.
- Check the Open as window box if you want the website to open in its own separate window. Otherwise, leave the box unchecked to have the site open in a normal tab.
- Click on Create to create the shortcut in your app drawer.
- Find the created shortcut in your launcher and right-click on it.
- Click on pin to shelf.
- The shortcut is on your shelf as the rightmost pinned item.
How to open pinned items with your keyboard
Chromebooks have a ton of keyboard shortcuts to use them quickly and easily. One of the handiest lets you access the first nine items pinned to your shelf. hold it Other button and press the numeric key which corresponds to the application you want to open. For instance, Other+1 opens the first item on your shelf, Other+2 opens the second element, and so on.
You can also click the shortcut on your shelf with your mouse, but using the keyboard may be more convenient.
How to rearrange your shelf
It can be helpful to rearrange the order of your shelf so that your most used apps are first.
- Click and hold the shortcut on the shelf you want to move.
- pull it in the place on the shelf where you would like it to be.
Do this to rearrange all the apps on your shelf, and they’ll be in the order you like.
Keep your important stuff on the shelf
Using shortcuts on a Chromebook, especially one of the better Chromebooks, makes it easier to get to your most-used apps and websites. Another useful item on the shelf is the Phone Hub, which lets you interact with your Android phone on your Chromebook. Check it out!